Books Available for Review
If you are interested in reviewing any of the books available for review, please email email@example.com with the title of the book, your institutional affiliation and other contact information. Subject to qualifications, we will send you the book review. The review will be published in the journal and/or on our web site pending acceptance and minor editing.
If you know of a book that you would like to review that is not on our Books Available for Review List, send us an email with the particulars. We may be able to order the book for you.
Book Review List
Click to view list of books for review
We include the reviewer’s email address along with the review. Include your contact information (including email address) and institutional affiliation at the end of your review. You will be informed of the review’s URL as soon as the review is ready. Please check the on-line version and inform us of any errors or problems with the review so we can correct them before printing.
If the reviewer is not a subscriber to Canadian Ethnic Studies/Études ethniques au Canada or a member of the Canadian Ethnic Studies Association, s/he may purchase the issue of the journal in which the review appears by mailing a cheque for $35 ($35 US outside Canada) to the above address.
NOTE: Reviewers are reminded that the review they submit should be considered their final version, as it is difficult to make changes after the review is edited and published on-line.
We now accept book review submissions electronically. Reviews should be clearly identified in the subject line, and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Reviews can also be mailed. Send two hard copies along with an electronic version (in word or rtf format) of your review on a disk to:
SS 909, Department of Sociology,
University of Calgary,
2500 University Drive, N.W.,
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4
Unsolicited book reviews are considered for publication. If you have written a review of a recently published book that deals with some aspect of ethnicity in Canada, send it to the journal office. We welcome suggestions regarding books you would like to review or would like to see reviewed by the journal.
Book Review Submission Guidelines
2. Readers tend to look for some discussion of the content of the book. A brief resume of the outline and major areas covered is helpful. Report on the aims of the book and to what extent the author was able to attain those goals. Both positive and negative evaluations are usually appreciated and should be supported.
3. Readers appreciate an indication of the level at which the book would be useful,for example, high school, undergraduate, academic research, etc.
4. If the book is not published by a publishing house, please indicate where it may be purchased in the heading of the review.
5. PLEASE format your review heading as follows; list all the information including special features such as bibliography, index, illustrations, and price.
Arthur Kroeger. Hard Passage: A Mennonite Family’s Journey from Russia to Canada. Edmonton: U of Alberta P, 2007. 269 pp. Notes. Bibliography. Index. $34.95 hc.
The journal’s overall format follows the Chicago Manual of Style guidelines.
6. Refer to the page numbers of reviewed text in parentheses (210). Italicize book titles throughout the review; do not include references.
7. Social scientists are interested in research methodology: discuss research methods where applicable.
8. Writing style is an important aspect of the ability to communicate. A brief discussion of the author’s style is helpful.
9. Prompt responses make authors, book publishers, and readers happy. Our journal appears only three times per year, which provides us with less frequent opportunities to publish reviews. We do our best to review books quickly; we appreciate reviewers submitting reviews promptly.
10. The typical word count is 750 to 850 words. Double reviews are not limited to that word count.
11. Include the price of the book and whether it is a paperback (sc) or hard cover (hc).
Sending Review Copies to CES
If you have recently published a book relevant to the journal’s mandate, please send a review copy to us at:
CANADIAN ETHNIC STUDIES
SS909, Dept of Sociology
U of Calgary, 2500 University Drive, N.W.
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4
Please note that we do not publish reviews of books published more than two years ago. Also note that we need to know the selling price of any books we review. Please include that information with the review copy.
ON-LINE PUBLICATION: We publish all reviews on-line as soon as they are accepted for publication and edited. If you are able to supply an electronic file with a picture of the book and/or the author, we will be happy to include them on the review page.
BOOKS RECEIVED: We will do our best to find a reviewer for the book, and will publish the review on-line as soon as possible. If we are not able to secure a reputable reviewer for your publication, we will list the book in our “Books Received” section in the third issue of each year.
TEAR SHEETS/CHECKING COPIES: Unfortunately, financial constraints prevent us from sending tear sheets or checking copies of the journal to publishers of books we review. We will, however, send you an email notice once the review is edited and published on-line (before it is printed). That notice will include the URL of your review, at which time you will be able to read the review exactly as it will appear in our next regular issue of the journal (the reviews are not posted until they have been edited and formatted for print, thus they appear on-line exactly as they will appear in print).