Contributions may take the form of research articles (on average, 8000 words), while preliminary findings, conference reports, evaluations, case studies, critical essays, practitioner reflections, and reviews will be considered for our Research Notes.
Submissions are accepted throughout the year.
The review process usually takes four to six months.
All confirmed contributors must be members of the Canadian Ethnics Studies Association or pay an equivalent manuscript submission fee.
All manuscripts submitted will be reviewed by the editors before being sent out for blind review to two consultants with relevant expertise. Reviewers are chosen from the academic community based on their specialty areas and availability.
In the case of conflicting reports, a third assessor or a member of the editorial board will help the editors make the final determination. The selection of articles for inclusion in the journal will be based largely on these reviews, and the issue in which accepted articles are published lies solely with the editors.
Manuscripts are only accepted electronically.
Manuscripts are accepted for publication on the understanding that they have been submitted only to the Canadian Ethnic Studies/Études ethniques au Canada journal and that copyright of published articles will be owned by the journal. Authors are responsible for the factual accuracy of their papers and for obtaining permission to reproduce text or illustrations from other publications.
- We require the assignment of copyright to the Canadian Ethnic Studies Association, though authors are free to use their own work in other collections with the appropriate citation listing where the materials were first published. It is understood that, in return for publication, the journal has the nonexclusive right to publish the contribution and the continuing right, without limit, to include the contribution as part of any reprinting of the issue, in whole or in part, by any means and in any format, including computer-assisted storage and read-out.
- The Research Centre for Canadian Ethnic Studies, the Editors and Editorial Board of Canadian Ethnic Studies/Études ethniques au Canada, and the Canadian Ethnic Studies Association and its Executive take no responsibility for the opinions or data presented by contributors to Canadian Ethnic Studies.
- All contributors whose work is accepted for publication must be members of the Canadian Ethnic Studies Association or pay an equivalent manuscript submission fee.
- Be sure to include your contact information in the email and on your cover page. Please send your cover page as a separate file, and identify both files with your name, e.g., Frideres,cescover.doc and Frideres,cesmanuscript.doc. Ensure that any identifying features are removed from the manuscript copy that will be sent out for blind review.
- A Manuscript Submission Fee must accompany all submissions if the submitter is not a current member of Canadian Ethnic Studies Association.
How to Submit your Manuscript
Articles should be approximately 8000 words, including references (text in Times 12 pt.). Shorter papers will be considered for inclusion as research notes. Delete all identifying references from your manuscript; the author’s name(s) should appear only on the title page. Include an abstract. Manuscripts should conform to the Chicago Manual of Style (the author–date system is preferred, although some subjects may require endnotes; CES does not publish footnotes).
Electronic submissions are accepted in Microsoft Word format. Please ensure that all identifying references have been removed from the electronic version. Send clearly identified files to email@example.com.
Canadian Ethnic Studies charges a processing fee equivalent to the cost of an annual individual subscription for each manuscript submitted. This fee must accompany the manuscript for it to be considered for publication (see form below). The fee is waived for current members/subscribers. The journal does not assess page charges or any other handling fees. The journal encourages membership in the Canadian Ethnic Studies Association to assist in the dissemination of knowledge regarding various aspects of Canadian ethnicity.
Click to download Manuscript Submission Form